- How to Fix Copy and Paste in Windows 10
How to Fix Copy and Paste in Windows 10
Considering Microsoft Windows 10 was praised for its interface features and functionality making its operating system capable enough to support any type of device. Having trouble with the copy and paste feature in windows 10? Even though it is the most basic feature, but since errors occur all the time we will help you sort out the issue by walking you through how to fix copy and paste in Windows 10.
Let’s start with the basics, so you can get a hang of the entire situation and follow through easily.
- If your computer is unresponsive then press Ctrl + C or Ctrl + V to check whether your keyboard is working fine or not. Sometimes the keyboard can get stuck or be unresponsive due to light or very hard touch. In that case, the keys might be working fine and it is your screen that is stuck then let’s move on to the next step.
Tip: If you are using an external keyboard then try changing the batteries or clean up the keys.
If that doesn’t work either, then here a few things you can try:
- Use refresh tool in the windows
- Clear clipboard history
- Run SFC and DISM
- Troubleshoot in the clean boot state
- Reinstall the program in which the copy-paste function is not working
- Restart explorer.exe and rdpclip.exe process
Tip: We will recommend that first off you should look at whether the issue is caused by the device and if it needs to be updated. But if you have already updated your device then you might want to restore the previous version depending upon if it was working fine before. Go to the control panel in the recovery to select open system restore.
Let’s get into the details of the following mentioned suggestions above.
Refresh Windows 10
Before you get into the other ways to deal with this issue try refreshing Windows 10 by using the Refreshing Window Tool provided by Microsoft.
Clear Windows Clipboard Cache
Right-click on the start button to see the option of the command prompt (Admin) then type in the command in the console and tap on enter. You should also clear your clipboard history to see if that might kick start copy and paste, just open CMD.exe, put in echo off (clip), and enter.
Run SFC and DISM
Corrupted files can affect your computer’s pace and processing, so run the system file checker and DISM to repair any potential damage or corrupted files. If SFC doesn’t work, then type dism/online/cleanup-image/restore health.
Troubleshoot in Clean Boot State
Perform a clean boot to see, if a third-party process might be interfering with the functioning of your device. Clean boot will point out the problem but you will have to fix it manually. Go to settings > update & security > troubleshoot and then tap on the keyboard to fix the problem.
Reinstall the Application and Upgrade
If the copy and paste option is not working in a particular app then try restarting it or upgrade it to remove the software bug, if any.
Restart Windows Explorer and rdpclip.exe
Click Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the Task Manager, once you see the Windows Explorer option, tap on it to restart it. It will take a few seconds to restart but it will help you with the copy and paste option.
Then write in rdpclip.exe in the given space and tick the task administrative privilege before entering ok.
Since it is a temporary glitch, if the above-mentioned fixes are not working then you can go through the following options as well.
New User Profile Set Up
Corrupted users profile can disable the copy-paste function, so set up a new profile by going into the settings in the accounts and clicking on family & other people, then add someone to the pc. Enter name, password, and hint to set it up.
Bluetooth Add- On
This is for Microsoft Office users who try to disable the Bluetooth add on if you have one installed and see if that works.
Disable Shared Clipboard in Virtual box
Virtual box controls the smooth running of the virtual machine but it can interface with the features at times too, so to fix this problem disable the feature.
Webroot Security Software
Go to Webroot in the Identity Protection, then click on Application Protection to find which app is restricting the use of the copy and paste function. Disable the protected clipboard data to save time.
- If copy paste is not working in Adobe Reader, then go to ‘Programs and Feature’ to locate ‘Adobe Reader’ and uninstall it. After this reboot your device to see if the copy-paste is working or not.
- If rdpclip.exe fails to work, then go to clipboard mapping and launch run box by clicking on Windows + R. Write ‘Regedit’ in the given space. Look it up in registry editor search and double click on fDisableClip with value 0.
- Open Advanced System Care Software, then go to speed up RAM to click on smart RAM, and deep clean. After this go to settings and uncheck clean clipboard features.
- According to some people, Skye was the reason why their copy and paste option wasn’t working. It might be the simplest way of making calls but if it restricting such a necessary tool then we will suggest removing the add-on from the browser, restart your device and see if the copy-paste is working or not.
- Go through malware and viruses by clicking on the window key to see the setting option, then go to update and security into windows security to check viruses and threat protection. In the history run an advance scan too to go through the entire computer and when done run a window defender as well to see the complete result.
Tip: Do back up your files in case some of the recommended methods might result in loss of data. We would suggest any app that isn’t responding to copy and paste uninstall it.